Thursday 20 June 2013

Blood Brothers

Last night I went out with my boyfriend and his parents to see Blood Brothers in Newcastle.  His parents had got the tickets for my birthday so we went for a meal at The Big Mussel (if you haven't been - try it! Yum!) and then up to the theatre afterwards.  It was a fab show - Maureen Nolan was amazing, although we spent the whole night unable to figure out which Nolan it was.  The night made me think about doing some themed poetry writing.  So maybe once or twice a week I'll do a poem according to what I've been upto recently.  So, naturally, the theme this time is siblings.  I've written a very drafty poem - probably not finished (it's very short at the minute), but I guess that's what is interesting about this blog.  It will basically be an archive of all of my drafts, redrafts, and final pieces.  Hope you enjoy so far.



Sibling



“I’ve got a new baby sister”, badge pinned to his chest

beside the school crest on a royal blue sweatshirt.

A protective older brother, an idol,

hero, sometimes rival.

Similar in form, like duplicate machines

they share the same shell,

DNA and cells, blood type, genes.

She is his copy, he her first best friend,

she follows his trail. He makes her mouth curve

and laugh as his does, but to a smaller scale.



 © Caitriona Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment